We are so glad that you are considering this next step of baptism in your faith journey. Please take some time and read over this material about the whats and whys of baptism.
- What is the meaning of baptism?
- It illustrates the death, burial and resurrection of Yeshua. "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,
that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures," 1 Corinthians 15:3,4
"having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead." Colossians 2:12
- It illustrates my life as a follower of Jesus. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." 2 Corinthians 5:17
"We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life." Romans 6:4
- Who should be baptized?
- Every person who has made Jesus the Lord of their life. This is someone who has recognized that sin has separated them from God, that they cannot be "good enough" to earn their way into a relationship with Him. That this loving Father sent His Son to enter into the world, overcome sin by His sinless life, die the death we deserved and defeat death by raising from the dead. It is through this, that we can have a relationship with the Lord. This step of obedience in baptism, is for anyone who has decided to follow Jesus on a journey of faith.
- Why should I be baptized?
- To follow the example of Jesus. "In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan." Mark 1:9
- Jesus taught us to be baptized. "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matthew 28:19,20
- When should I be baptized?
- As soon as you decide to be a follower of Jesus you can be baptized. There is no reason to wait as wee see with Philip and a brand new disciple. "And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, 'See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?'" Acts 8:36
- Why immersion in water?
- The word baptize means to "dip under water". This act best symbolizes a burial and resurrection. Jesus was baptized this way by John the Baptist. "and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins." Matthew 3:6
- What should I wear?
- You should wear dark, loose fitting clothes and shoes that are easily slipped out and into. You should also bring a towel.
- What will happen?
- You will come 30 minutes early to the service wearing the clothes you will be baptized in. We will have a time of prayer and go over the baptism order. You will be helped into the baptism tank, (don't worry, it's heated) asked if you are a follower of Jesus as your Lord and Savior, where you will reply "yes". You can share a short 2 min. testimony if you'd like. If not that's fine as well. You will be baptized by a minister, or if you'd like to have the person who led you to the Lord baptize you, that is always a special time. You will be led to the tank where you will walk in and sit down (there is a seat inside). The person baptizing you will put one hand in back of your neck, while you will hold your nose and cross your hands in front of your face, and holding onto your hands, they will bring you backwards in the tank, fully submersing you. This will be very quick. Then when you come up, there will be an assistant that will wrap you quickly with your towel and you will go upstairs to change into dry clothes.
This is a beautiful imagery of one who was dead, separated from God, and who through the love and sacrifice of Jesus, has been made alive again. It is a wonderful celebration that your faith community will share with you.
Contact Us About Being Baptized:
Thank you for your interest. Someone will contact you shortly.